Saturday, July 17, 2010

To space or not to space? - (and a little bit of a soapbox)

Well, the apartment was nice, but I am still a little stumped.  As you have probably gathered by now, space is not really in excess here in the city.  Most people live in boxes.  While I am sure it just takes some adjusting, I have been really missing my space lately, hence my draw to the apartment I looked at today.  It is 850 sq ft, has a huge kitchen with new stove/oven and refrigerator, and has six rooms, and somehow I can (just barely!) fit it into my budget.  So I wondered, "What's the catch?" 

In the price range that I would need, it seems there is typically a trade off.  Space versus amenities.  This apartment had the space.  It just didn't have the amenities.  Is it worth it to me, for instance, to walk up 4 flights of stairs everyday to a fifth floor apartment with no elevator?  Or do I mind that there is no laundry in the bulding?  Would it bother me that I am a 10 minute walk from the subway? (I know this seems short but when it's hot, or even cold for that matter, minutes make a difference).   It is very close to the hospital, which is nice, and there is a laundry right down the block.  Would I be able to adapt to these things all in the name of space?

Argh, I am just not quite sure!  What do you guys think? Would you rather have space or amenities/comforts? Comments are always appreciated.

While you're contemplating this, I have a couple more things to discuss.  First, I promised you guys a picture of our Emergency Room sign that was featured on Seinfeld.  I am keeping my promise...

Now when you watch Seinfeld, you can keep an eye out for this sign in the show, and it will be more meaningful for you.  Ha.

Second thing is just a small plug/recommendation.  My family friend Kristin recommended a documentary in one of her blog postings this week, and I downloaded it from Netflix tonight.  It is called America the Beautiful and addresses America's beauty obsession by, amongst other things, following the storyline of a young 12 year old girl who gets thrown into the modeling world as a child. It was a pretty good documentary.  I liked the creator, and I do think it was fairly mild compared to how ugly it could have portrayed these issues.  He was generous.  Having done a VERY short stent in the modeling world, I realized that, contradictory to what most people believe, modeling does not help your self esteem.   I only kept myself in that environment for a very short time before realizing that it was not good for me.  Sadly, some of the girls with whom I worked were 15 and 16 years old, and I just can't imagine the damage.  Here I was in college with at least some halfway sense of myself, and a few months of trying it really did a number. I can't even imagine what it must do to these young girls who are still trying to figure out who they are and where they fit in the world.  I had a friend who sought it out shortly after I had removed myself, and I, again, watched it damage him pretty badly. Then again, maybe some people flourish, but I would think you would have to have some of the best, most solid self esteem in the world not to let it make a dent.  I would advise caution to anyone who knows someone who wants to do this.  Sigh. Move on.  I am now off my soapbox.

Ahhhh. Another weekend off.  I still have to pinch myself to believe it.

2 comments:

  1. hard choice! i think i would pick amenities...but it's easy for me to say that since i'm not having to make the choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you can't get sleep in less space, then you need the space right? And maybe you won't have to diet and can eat more cupcakes if you have to walk up and down the stairs so often. And how often do you do laundry anyway?

    ReplyDelete