Sunday, July 11, 2010

Humdrum

Not much to report here.  Just more heat and more walking around and more hanging out with friends.  I have kept myself pretty busy the last few days.  I saw a concert on Thursday night with Farron and his girlfriend and friends.  I have learned another hard lesson about the heat.  I am not sure if they are just not used to hot weather here, but I have noticed that many of the buildings don't have sufficient air conditioning.  I am pretty sure we all sweat a gallon at the concert, especially with everyone stuffed in right next to each other.  Some girl decided she and I needed to get really friendly by standing RIGHTNEXT to me the whole time.  I did a few of the sideways glances over my shoulder to no avail.  But overall, the concert was fun, and I am very glad I went.  Again, it's always a pleasure to spend time with new friends.  We were all starving afer the concert and headed to a little place for some pub food.  We split almost all of it amongst each other, and someone ordered a hamburger with egg on it.  It was so good.  Just so good. And there was a consensus among us all that eggs generally make things better.

Friday night was again another good night with good friends.  The first year residents (Katy, Robert, and I) had a little get together at Katy's house with some snack foods provided by Katy's very domestic fiance.  Then we went for dinner at a place called Nick's that had great pizza and returned to Katy's for some Kerplunk, Apples to Apples, and Jenga, all of which seem better after a few glasses of wine. 

On Saturday I truly, honestly meant to get a lot of reading done.  I packed up all my stuff and headed to Beanocchio's, a little coffee shop down the street that was rated pretty highly on Yelp.  However, I wasn't very impressed with the food or service, and I ended up staring at people and/or nothing for a good 2 hours before heading back to my house to try reading there. They do serve Cafe Du Monde lattes.  Yum.  At home, it didn't really go as planned either since I watched 3 episodes of Intervention and congratulated myself on having the life that I have after watching those people. Subsequently I got ready to go to Laura's boy's birthday party at a pub called Red Lion in the Village.  It's a pretty popular place from what I could gather with live music 7 nights a week.  Of course, I resolved myself to wear a dress last night, which took a little self-imposed pep talk prior to leaving, only to realize when I got there that the place was casual and jeans would have been fine.  Sheesh. I give up.




Today consisted of watching the World Cup Final with some of the folks from work at a place called Ship of Fools.  Very nice pub with good food, but again with the crappy air conditioning.  I was sitting next to the thermostat, which read 89 degrees.  Yikes.  I have sweat more in the last 3 weeks then I usually do in a summer.  Oh well. Maybe it's good for me?

Other than that, I have just been on the hunt for an apartment.  I have a few places I am interested in seeing, but I do have to say that I am not a huge fan of the brokers.  I am sure I will get into more detail regarding this in the future.  For now, I think I have done enough complaining. 

On a brighter note, tomorrow is our first surgery clinic, which means more hands on acitivity! Yay! I like working with my hands, and it makes the day go by. 

Argh. What a boring post! By the way, anyone know of any good salons in NYC?

No comments:

Post a Comment