Thursday, September 23, 2010

A little taste of home

Saturday night was Cherie's birthday party.  Just to remind you, Cherie is my chief resident's wife and has also been my movie buddy.  Cherie is not originally from Texas, but I certainly think she should have been a Texas girl.  She grew up in a little town in Iowa but moved to Texas where she met Jordan (my chief resident).  These two are a match made in heaven.  Cherie is a prettier female version of Jordan, and they are so cute together.  She loves Texas, and the two of them are planning to move back there once he finishes this academic year.  

That being said, I just felt like I needed to give you guys a little background here so that I could tell you why Saturday night's choice for dinner was a good pick on Cherie's part.  We went to a place called Hill Country. Although this restaurant is located in the kinda trendy, kinda posh Flatiron District, you walk in that door, and you don't feel like you are in New York anymore.  There were TONS of Longhorn fans wearing their orange proudly.  There were guys in boots and hats.  And the smell of BBQ was overwhelming.  Although I would have liked to see some smoked turkey or a stuffed potato on the menu, it was still a little taste of home.  I got the lean brisket, green bean casserole, and corn pudding.  My own little version of soul food served with a side of good ole Texas style BBQ sauce.  To top it all off, Bluebell ice cream served straight up.  I have to admit that it was a little on the expensive side. But what's new? It's New York.   I never thought I would be happy to see cowboy boots and hats, but I dunno, it was nice to have a little bit of Texas here in this sea of ethnic foods.  Oddly enough, it felt like being home, and I was happy.  There were lots of funny questions and comments about what we eat, do, and say in Texas.  Some of the people there had never heard of Bluebell and certainly never had anything like corn pudding.  It was amusing.  It didn't hurt that UT won the football game over Tech either.  Jordan is an Aggie (boo!), and he was doing his fair share of smack talking before dinner.  Boo ya.  Oh yeah.

Speaking of football, you guys would be happy to know (I'll pretend that you are) that my Fantasy Football team was the highest scoring team in Week 1, although I lost Week 2.  Boo.  I have to say...participating has been really fun, although I think I might be a little obsessed.  I am Texas girl. I like football.  What can I say?




No comments:

Post a Comment